Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Bukidnon, My Home

I was neither born nor raised in Bukidnon, but I consider it my home--my second home, that is. Almost 10 years ago, my dad moved there to make use of the farmland my maternal grandmother's family owned but never bothered to use until we had problems with illegal tenants who were claiming that the land was theirs. So, despite having no experience in farming and having been raised in the city, my dad moved to Malaybalay to start a new career as a farmer. Well, as a businessman/farmer. It wasn't an easy decision to make because that meant he'd have to leave my mom and me and my brothers here while he was there staying with my grandmother's relatives. Fast forward to 2010, my dad would rather stay there than go back to Manila I kid you not. I'd like to think that my dad has always been a 'probinsyano' at heart. He wasn't your typical Manileno. Adjusting to the provincial life wasn't as difficult for my dad, and the major adjustment was just not having us with him there. Well, my mom and brothers followed after 3 years and they're feeling the same way about Manila. It was their home almost their entire lives, but they'd rather live out the rest up in the cool mountains of Bukidnon. Even if I never moved to Bukidnon, I consider it as my second home. I get excited whenever I find the chance to leave Manila and visit my family there. I don't really need to adjust that much.

I spent Holy Week this year in Malaybalay with my family. My grandmother was in the US visiting my uncles, while my other brother spent it here in Manila because he still had work. I've gotten used to going there alone so I didn't mind.

As usual, I'm not going to dwell so much on narrating every little detail about what I did there. I'd rather show it to you through pictures (with the help of captions, of course :p).

Our coffee shop--Bukidnon Brew Cafe

Our home
Living Room

Dining Room Mirror

Dining Room (with a view of the kitchen)

Our long parking area/'runway'


Dahilayan Outdoor Park (with Asia's longest zipline!)

Dinner at La Vetta, Cagayan de Oro. I treated my family :)



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your province is just beautiful! I wish we could visit Bukidnon before the year ends. Thanks for the awesome article.

kookie kulasa said...

I have yet to post other shots of Bukidnon :) I do encourage you to visit it. Also, you can go there next March for the Kaamulan Festival :)

Irene said...

Are you in Bukidnon right now? I'm spearheading the Bukidnon Bloggers group. We're going to have a Blogging 101 workshop and how to earn money online seminar soon. Details over at www.BukidnonOnline.com :) We're encouraging more people to blog and embrace other forms of new media.

kookie kulasa said...

Irene: no, I'm in Manila right now...I post about Bukidnon whenever I get the chance to go there and visit my parents :)