Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Conquered Mt. Pulag!

I went on an adventure this past weekend--I was actually able to climb the 2nd highest mountain in the country, Mt. Pulag in Benguet (northern part of the Philippines). You may wonder why the heck I would want to go through a physically challenging ordeal. Why not? It's not something everyone will do or would want to do, and how many people can actually say they've actually climbed a mountain--what more the 2nd highest peak? This trek didn't only serve as an adventure for me. It gave me clarity as to what I should do in terms of my career and life in general. You see, I've been struggling with my job since the year started. Things are supposed to get better, but that's not really the case. Let's just say after my Mt. Pulag climb, I know what to do now. Hehehe you guys will find out in a couple of months what direction I'll take in terms of my career as a market researcher.

Back to Pulag! Can I just say, this weekend was the BEST weekend for me this year...so far :) I'm not really an outdoorsy person. Lately, though, I've been attracted to the idea that I could try being more active and I shouldn't be afraid trying new things--going outside my comfort zone and pushing myself to see how far I can go. The climb was far from easy, believe me. Considering we took the beginner's trail, there wasn't anything amateur about it! I wanted to cry at times and just give up. But then I realized that there's a greater purpose why I was doing the trek, so I soldiered on--and I made it! I'm glad that I went up the mountain with my cousin Diwa, who's also a godsister of mine. I love it that I get to experience such adventures with people I love and care for. It bonded us even more, given that we're already quite close.

I want to share with you all my Mt. Pulag experience through photos. Enjoy looking at these and I hope that through these pictures you'll be able to somehow experience Mt. Pulag.



Our group before we started the trek up. It rained! Good thing we were ready with our raincoats :)




An hour to go before we reached the campsite...photo-op/an excuse to rest!




At last! We've arrived at the campsite. All smiles, but you have no idea how tired we were!

Our campsite


View from our campsite


With my cousin Diwa and her friend Solo. 4 layers of clothing and we're still freezing!


I had to put my feet inside my bag because it was so cold! Considering I was in thermal wear already.

At 3 a.m before our trek up to the summit. FREEZING COLD, I TELL YOU! F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G!

On top of Mt. Pulag, waiting for the sun to completely rise


My dearest cousin Diwa and I on top of Mt. Pulag


Finally, the Sun's out!






Just awesome :)




A sea of clouds





Our group on top of Mt. Pulag


Trek back to the campsite...














Resting after an hour of the trek back to the Ranger Station


Lovely view while climbing down the Mountain...


...although we were still quite high up :)


See? :)

Note: Some of the photos are from Eric Ofina who was with my group to Pulag, some are from my camera. Always site your sources :)

9 comments:

Leah said...

Beautiful view from up there... glad you captured them all. The sunrise is such an awesome sight. xoxo

kookie kulasa said...

Hi Leah! Yes, the sunrise truly was an awesome thing to witness up there :)

Corie said...

Beautiful pictures Kookie! I'm glad you enjoyed your climb. That's so cool that you got a chance to do this.

deobaraanmd said...

Amazing! It really seemed freezing up there...and the sunrise was definitely worth the climb. This will be on my adventure list already. haha. :P

kookie kulasa said...

Corie: Thanks dear! Hopefully this isn't the only time I'll climb Mt. Pulag...I might take the more difficult trail next time--maybe after a year of prep, haha!

Deo: Haha yes you should include Pulag in your adventure list. If you want it to be memorable, take the 3-day trail! Major workout for that, though. I heard they opened a longer trail, I'm not sure how long it'll take nga lang.

Noomie Doodles Fashion said...

thanks for stopping by.. woo.. ur so lucky u went up there. must be a very nice experience.. looks very cold too! compared to the very hot weather at the min city haha..

kookie kulasa said...

noomiedoodlesfashion: yeah it was SUPER hot when I got back to Manila hahaha I wanted to go back to Pulag :p

Anonymous said...

nicole! w0w i love the pictures. the place looks amazing! definitely a must-go this summer! :) -bupie

kookie kulasa said...

BUPIE!!! go na! baka kasi they might close down the pulag park already :( sana hindi...I wanna go back kasi ;)