Monday, June 8, 2009

retail therapy need not burn a hole in one's pocket

Since I started working, I've been enjoying the mall more than I did before--primarily because I now have the moolah to shop and buy at nice stores. However, with the situation at home and the financial adjustments we all have to make--thrift shopping is the solution to my retail woes. I do have to wait until July or August before I can shop for anything because my savings account has suffered enough already. Thank God for my mutual fund/insurance! At least I have funds that I really can't touch or else it'll lapse. Anyway, as my thoughts about thrift stores drifted off earlier today, or ukay ukay as we call them here in the Philippines, I suddenly had the urge to blog about them. I'm no ukay ukay historian, and I will not pretend to be an expert, but I do know quite a few things about ukay ukay shopping/hopping.
When I was still studying, the lack of funds actually paved the way for me to discover ukay ukay shops. My mom, aunts and uncles would make fun of me because it would seem like all of my clothes were second/third/nth hand except for my undies (of course!). I do admit that there was a time I went overboard. It's hard not to be an impulsive shopper when almost everything costs just a fraction of the price of clothes in malls/boutiques.

The last time I went to an ukay ukay was last December. I was able to buy quite a few nice pieces of clothing...which reminds me...I should go back to the ukay ukay shops in Tagaytay--DEFINITELY worth the 2-hr drive from Manila :)



Me with my friends Tin and Esther at the Tagaytay ukay ukay (December '08)

No comments: