Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Coraline


Before the movie will be shown here in Manila, I decided to read Coraline (by Neil Gaiman) first. I wanted to appreciate the book first before I get disappointed (or maybe be impressed) with the movie. I've never read any of Gaiman's works before. Though a lot of friends have told me to read his books, I was never really drawn to Gaiman enough to want to read his works. Maybe I've just been picky with the authors I read, I dunno. Anyway, I bought Coraline a couple of weeks ago...for the lame reason that I liked the cover. Hahaha! Admittedly, that's one of the factors I buy a book--if the cover art tickles my fancy. Most of the books I bought are because 1) I like the author; 2) the cover art was really nice; and/or 3) the description at the back of the book was good enough to intrigue me about the story. I bought Coraline because of reasons 2 and 3. I can't say I like or don't like Gaiman because I've never read any of his works before so there's no point of reference.

So what can I say about Coraline? I LOVED THE BOOK! It scared me a bit, but I ♥ ♥ ♥ it! I actually read it before I slept last night so I had a bit of a nightmare. Hahaha! After reading Coraline, I'll probably buy a couple more of Neil Gaiman's works. Any suggestions? People who've read Gaiman's works, what are your top 3 suggestions on what I should read, and why?

photo credit: about.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) The Sandman series. I was obsessed with this in highschool & early college haha. A bit creepier than Coraline at times. More violent too, but still amazing. Comics nga lang, if you're into comics. :P

2) Stardust
This has more mainstream appeal, since it's a feel-good adult fairy tale.

3) Neverwhere

I've heard The Graveyard Book is good too, but I haven't read it yet. :P

kookie kulasa said...

Thanks Gab!Will definitely check out these books soon :)