Sunday, February 12, 2012

holy weekend (day 2)

Continuation of my previous post--yesterday I visited the Callao Caves and Pinacauanan River in Penablanca and the St. Philomene Church in Alcala (all three still located in Cagayan Province). I hope this post encourages you to visit Cagayan, it's such a spectacular province to explore.

Of course I had to take a tourist shot, haha! Welcome to the Callao Eco Tourism Zone! :) The entrance fee was just 20 bucks. It's required that you have a guide to the cave, and I noticed that most of the guides were kids.

You need to climb 184 steps to be able to get to the cave's entrance. I was not prepared 0_0 By the way, that's Jaylord (yes, that is his name) my 15 yr old guide. He's been a tour guide in Callao for the past 5 years. He's also quite an "expert" in taking pictures, I guess due to lots of practice with the tourists who ask him to take their pictures. He even pointed out the perfect spots where to take pictures, where the good lighting was, what kind of setting I should use for my camera inside the cave, etc....


The chapel in the 2nd Chamber. There are 7 Chambers inside the cave, but was only able to reach the 5th one because it would be difficult for us to go to the remaining two already.


The Pinacanauan River. I don't know if I was duped, but the round trip boat fare cost me Php 500. Now, I really didn't mind because I don't think the boat man would earn that amount daily. My way of helping him out, heehee .




Too bad I was by myself, because you can dock on one side of the river and have a picnic there. You can also swim in the river, by the way!! I can assure you the water is SO CLEAN. I have never seen a river that clean, as in almost crystal clear clean.



The St. Philomene Church, or the Alcala Church as locals would call it. It's found in Alcala, Cagayan Province and is about 40+ kilometers from Tuguegarao City. Oh the lengths and distances I'd go to just to visit old churches. Srsly people, I have a weird fascination (read: obsession) with old churches. There's just something about these structures that inspire and intrigue me at the same time.




** Directions:
To Callao Cave/Pinacanauan River - From the provincial highway going to Tuguegarao coming from Isabela, turn right at the road leading to Penablanca (which is right after the arch of Penablanca haha!). Just go straight, it'll be a loooooooooooooong drive to reach the entrance of the registration area of the Callao Eco-Tourism Zone. The road's a bit bumpy as well because of repairs currently being done.

To St. Philomene Church - Take the same route as going to Iguig (refer to my previous entry). Go past Iguig and you'll reach the town of Alcala. Believe me, just go straight and you'll spot the church on the right side of the road. It'll feel like a long drive (because it really is one) but just enjoy the view and trust that you'll see the church and that you're not lost ;)

No comments: