Monday, August 30, 2010

Bataan!

Quite funny how my officemates have been calling me Bataan the past couple of weeks, and now I'm posting something about my Bataan trip last June (but me 'being' Bataan and the trip to Bataan have nothing to do with each other). Just saying, Bataan..then Bataan. Okay nevermind. Haha! Anyway, this is an entry long overdue which seems to be the case for most of my pending posts. Since It's been 2 1/2 months since the trip, I don't remember the details of the trip except that it was really hot that day then it started to rain in the afternoon. First, we went to Las Casas Filipinas de Azucar--where the owner just happens to enjoy COLLECTING houses. He had most of the infrastructures in the heritage site transferred from their original locations. The second place we visited was the Mt. Samat Shrine, which was built in memory of the soldiers who fought the Japanese in the 2nd World War. Just to share, Bataan is quite a historical place because it was where 'the scene of harsh fighting' between the joint forces of the Americans and Filipinos versus the Japanese. About 70,000 American and Filipino soldiers were captured. The most famous event that happened in Bataan is the Bataan Death March, where captured troops were made to walk 60 miles from Bataan to prison camps in San Fernando, Pampanga. What made this event memorable was not only because of the distance, but also because of what happened to the soldiers along the way (which are too horrific for me to write so I won't).

I do hope that you guys enjoy the photos :)

Las Casas Filipinas de Azucar

Mt. Samat Shrine

1 comment:

Cherie said...

i love all the shots with architectural details. it looks great out there. methinks i wanna go there too!