Friday, January 1, 2010

the awesomeness of 2010

2010's gonna be awesome. You know why? Because it's going to be the year I will try to reach my 'feasible' goals. Feasible for the year, that is. Hahaha! I've been evaluating the past year and I realized that the reason why I wasn't able to reach the goals I set was because I procrastinated. Procrastination doesn't really get us anywhere so this year, I want to push myself a bit more and concentrate on accomplishing everything I want to do or begin doing in 2010.

Here's my list of goals for the year:
1. To start working out and eating right - I tried out my little brother's new Wii Fit yesterday and I was very disappointed with the results. My BMI's normal, but my body's condition is that of a 34 year old's...and I'm 22. I know my body's quite weak due to the lack of exercise and my bad eating habits, occasional crash diets, etc...I should take care of my body. God said it's the temple of the Holy Spirit and I should take better care of it. Sorry Lord :( God-willing, I'll be in good shape by the end of 2010.

2. To increase my savings - No thanks to my lack of 'retail discipline', my funds have been severely depleted. Trips to the mall and my recent mini-vaca in HK has made me bankrupt. I pay my mutual insurance/savings account quarterly but that's not enough. Yes, it's quite responsible of me to have an insurance at this young age of mine but that really isn't enough for me to survive. I should try being more responsible with my finances. This is actually an annual goal, hahaha! I'm getting better every year...slowly.

3. To travel more - 2009 was a memorable year in terms of the places I went to. Did a bit of traveling with family and friends, and I want to do more in 2010 and in the next few years while I'm still young. I really want to be able to explore the country more and to be able to go to other Asian countries. I love traveling! It's fun and educational at the same time.

4. To try to work on my time management skills - I think the reason why I was so stressed out with work this past year was because I haven't really mastered the art of time management yet. I don't think I've figured out the perfect way to plan out my work activities in a way that I wouldn't have to kill myself in the office spending nights and days there.

5. To focus - In general, I need to be able to focus. I tend to get a bit distracted at times with certain things, and I end up getting rattled at some point.

6. To make more friends - Who doesn't like meeting new people? I want to make it a point that this year, I'll expand my network and get to meet and to know people from all walks of life. Looking back this past year, I've made a few new friends just in the latter part. I sort of focused on my small groups and I guess I need to be more open to meeting new people. I'm friendly like that. Hahaha!

7. To make a difference - My friend Raiz and I are planning on starting our Read Along Project for kids in 2 or 3 barangays in Malaybalay, Bukidnon as part of our advocacy to encourage children to start reading at a young age. Furthermore, to emphasize the importance of knowing how to read and being able to understand what you're reading. Let's admit it, kids in the far-off provinces aren't given much attention in terms of education that's why their competitive advantage with kids who are educated in Manila is quite low. Education is so important in changing the nation, and the foundation of good education is when you start with the little ones. I started with this project a bit earlier by doing a bookdrive in my office. I asked my officemates if they could donate children's reading books (preferrably for kids aged 3-7) so that we could send these to Bukidnon. My mom's helping me out in terms of who to coordinate with since she's a consultant for the city government.


These are my top goals for 2010. What are your goals for the new year?

2 comments:

Nina said...

Kookie ... my bank account is depleted too ... Waaah!

kookie kulasa said...

We should try to replenish our accounts asap so we can shop again. I saw a super cute pair from Sanuk yesterday and I really wanted to buy it already but alas...no funds :|