Wednesday, September 30, 2009

post-Ondoy, pre-Pepeng

Typhoon Ondoy has left the Philippines' area of responsibility, twas quite sunny today actually (thank God!). Am grateful that no one in my family was hurt, a few relatives' houses were affected by the floods but am just glad they're all safe. Despite these good things, my heart still goes out to those who lost their homes, family members, and livelihoods because of the typhoon. The flooding in so many areas all over Metro Manila and Northern Luzon brought serious damage. Since Saturday afternoon, I've been monitoring the news...and there are moments that I just break down in tears watching or listening to people telling their experiences. There were those who risked their lives to save their neighbors or complete strangers. A lot lost their lives doing so, but I know their demise was not purposeless. I cried when I heard an old man talking to his grandson (who was swept away by the flood in his area)--as if he was still alive and the man was telling him that lolo (grandpa) was just waiting for him. The old man was trembling and on the verge of tears. I cried when I read an article about a young construction worker who lost his life saving his neighbors. He was able to save not just his family but also 30 other people. The last two people he saved was a young mother and her 6-month old child. I cried for those who were not able to save themselves because they were helpless and alone at home--young children, old people who couldn't act quickly enough or weren't strong enough to seek the safety of their 2nd floor or their roof. I cried when I heard people crying out that their homes were lost--nothing was saved. Despite these sad stories, I cried as well for those who were just grateful that their families were still intact and safe. I shed happy tears because somehow there's hope that we will be able to surpass this. People might have lost their houses, but that's nothing compared to losing loved ones--and hearing people say that they're just glad that their loved ones are safe made me happy.

Ondoy has left, but another typhoon's arriving within the next 2 days. I hope this one isn't as strong as Ondoy. We haven't even started recovering yet.

I love this entry made by my godsister Tippy. Please do read it :)

2 comments:

Vera said...

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were describing the devastation in Manila. It is so sad when towns are not equipped with the appropriate infrastructure for situations like this. I hope you're safe!

kookie kulasa said...

Hi Vera! Yes, am grateful my family and home were spared from the floods...I have a lot of relatives and friends who weren't as lucky, though. Some of them lost everything they owned. I'm hoping we'll all recover from this soon