Thursday, June 3, 2010

back to blogging

Hello, everyone I'm back! I haven't really been able to blog much for the past few weeks because, as I mentioned in an earlier entry, a lot of things have been happening in my life. Career-wise, I've decided that I'll resign from my current job as a Research Executive in a Marketing Research company. It's not that I don't like what I do in general. I just don't like the work environment, primarily how management is not handling things well. We're undermanned, compensation isn't commensurate to the work we do, and management can be quite unreasonable to the point my mother would lose her cool whenever I'd call about what's happening. I have several options--move to another MR company, move to the client side and do similar research work, or pursue something totally different from what I'm doing now. I never really thought about the last option until I talked to Nina this Monday. She encouraged me to try writing as a career, since I already have a blog and I've been writing for God knows how long.

I don't recall sharing it here on my blog, but when I was younger I wanted to pursue a career in Journalism. I've always been passionate about writing, and I seem to express myself better on paper. After high school, I was a bit discouraged since the university I attended didn't have any journalism or media courses. I'm not saying I regret taking up Political Economy. I actually enjoyed it in a way because it required us to write about issues that were and are of significance to society. Yeah, the writing required was a bit theoretical and academic but hey--it satisfied my 'need' to write. I know, it's a bit masochistic of me to have enjoyed writing papers in college. I won't deny that there were times I just wished our professors would stop giving us paper assignments because my brain was getting quite mushy already. But, those countless hours trying to squeeze all the ideas out of my head and the days and nights writing those essays made me a better writer.

So what's next for me? Will I now pursue a writing job? I don't really know. What I do know is that I'm so damn happy to be back to writing now. God knows what my next job will be, possibly in research again, marketing, or *gasp* sales?! But I will ALWAYS go back to writing, and I don't need it to be a "job" to do it.

4 comments:

Cherie said...

i've also wanted to take up journalism in college. i wish you success in anything you embark on :)

kookie kulasa said...

thank you, dear :) wish me luck--I'm applying in several companies and I'm hoping that my next job will be something I'll truly enjoy

Gela said...

i always regret not shifting to Comm back in college. i think it would have given me more opportunities & experiences, but everything still works out in the end!

good luck in figuring things out, Ate Nicole! :)


http://boatridethroughthesky.blogspot.com/

kookie kulasa said...

aaww thanks Gela :)